Thursday, April 13, 2006

My dear friend, Amalia



I remember while climbing the hill that was so steep and holding onto trees and their branches to steady myself on the loose rock, holding a bag of beans and a bag of rice, thinking to myself, now how in the world did Amalia find these poorest of the poor. And sure enough, when we got to the top of the hill there was this small shack with these four children in it.

See the oldest girl? She's 11 years old and she watches the three younger children while her parents work during the day.

And we believe we've got it bad!

Amalia, my dear friend, I haven't heard from you since I left. If you should happen to read this know that I think of you a lot and wonder what you're up to. I've talked my husband into coming with me next year. Tell Charlie HI!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: