Monday, December 10, 2007

In Loving Memory of Nugget (Bubbas)



December, 1995 -- December 10, 2007

Today I took Nugget to the Humane Society and lovingly ended his misery. I had made up my mind to do it over the weekend and darned if today he couldn't get up on his own this morning. His hips were shot. Gone. Kapute. I never thought I'd be so torn up over a dog, but this dog caught my heart back when he was just a pup and my daughter owned him. Oh, I was so delighted the day that I received the phone call asking if I could keep him for good. YES!!!

Nugget loved me more than he loved himself. He totally trusted me with everything. When his hips were getting especially bad he didn't flinch when I held him down for prolo injections with huge needles into both hips. He trusted and knew that I knew what I was doing. And he was the same today when they stuck the needle in him to gently put him to sleep. My head was next to his and with tears streaming down my face I lovingly thanked him for being such an important part of my life, and for his undying love and dedication to me. And then his head rolled off to the side. He was gone running with the angels. Crossing over into the light and most importantly he was no longer in pain.

Thanks so much to Jesse for coming with me and helping me through this. And then taking over when we were digging the hole. He let me help, but once we laid Nugget to place and I put the first couple of shovels of dirt on him, I lost it, and Jesse insisted that he had it from there and for me to go.

Oh how I miss him!!! But I know he's running and enjoying himself and is no longer in pain. Until we meet again my dear boy.

Much love, your mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alicia... I am so sorry for your loss... I have tears streaming down my face, but I know that it must have been his time... Nugget was such a good boy and I know he will be missed... <3 Sheila